What are the prizes?
What projects are eligible?
Who can enter?
How do I enter?
What are the key deadlines?
Online Application Form
Digifest is proud to announce a unique opportunity for digital entrepreneurs to participate in our IT’S A START pitch competition.
We are looking for the most innovative ideas from individuals, start-ups or digital companies who have special projects that they want to take to the next level. There is no fee to apply for this competition.
The competition officially launches in October 2013. Contestants have two months to submit their application.
Applications will be accepted until Friday January 24, 2014 at 5 p.m. All entries will be reviewed by the IT’S A START Committee and the first round of finalists will be announced on Friday January 31, 2014.
First round finalists will have an opportunity to attend a Creative Camp over the course of two days (Saturday February 8 & Sunday February 9, 2014) where entrepreneurs in residence will provide mentorship support and help the finalists evolve their projects.
In order to be considered for the pitch contest finale, finalists must re-submit their updated project proposals by Friday March 14, 2014 at 5 p.m. All entries will be reviewed by the IT’S A START Committee and the second round of finalists will be announced on March 24, 2014.
The Pitch Contest Finale will take place during Digifest on Saturday May 10 at the Corus Quay building located at Toronto’s Waterfront (see map). Semi-finalists will present on stage before a live audience to convince the jury why their project deserves to win.
Final Presentation Pitch Contest Rules:
• Only one individual from the team can deliver the pitch at Digifest on Saturday May 10, 2014.
• Each contestant will have two minutes to respond to judges’ Q & A, directly following their pitch.
• PowerPoint/PDF presentations are mandatory for the presentation
Friday January 31st, 2014: The first-round finalists for the competition announced
Saturday February 8th – Sunday February 9th, 2014: The first-round finalists attend Creative Camp
Friday March 14th, 2014: The first-round finalists re-submit project proposals by 5 p.m.
Monday March 24th, 2014: The second-round finalists for the competition announced
Saturday May 10th, 2014: Pitch Contest Finale
1st Place: Cash prize of $10,000 plus Incubator space and mentoring (Value $10,000)!
This includes one year in the Digital Media and Gaming Incubator at George Brown College in the form of workspace, mentorship, business plan consulting, workshops and marketing.
2nd Place: Cash prize of $2,000 plus Incubator space and mentoring (Value $10,000)!
3rd Place: Prizes from OCADU!
- Project entries or ideas must be the original work of the applicant(s).
- Applicant(s) who have submitted to IT’S A START competition in the past and have not qualified as a finalist can re-submit a proposal, however, you must be able to demonstrate how the project or idea has changed.
- Submissions that have won in previous IT’S A START competitions.
- Start-up companies
- Students or recent graduates
- NB: George Brown College and OCAD University students/graduates/faculty are eligible to participate in the competition, however, you must disclose this information in your application.
Has this idea been presented this way before? How does your idea compare to existing projects/ideas that address similar issues?
Is there a demand for your idea? Why would someone buy it?
How much more development is needed?
How easy is it to use?
Creativity & Design
How is your idea executed? Is the overall design clear and effective?
How realistic is your plan to execute this project? Does your budget take into consideration the logistics, production, technical requirements and other expenditures?
Probability of Success
With the right investment and support, could this idea become a successful business?
A complete list of Grand Prize winners from the First Canadian edition of IT’S A START CANADA can be found here.